Ball Hockey for Toddlers«back
- Small hockey sticks (wooden or plastic)
- Plastic ball 8-10 cm diameter (e.g. street hockey ball)
- Create two small goals in your driveway, patio, or hard surface at a local park.
- Play a simple game of one-against-one hockey with your toddler.
- Allow your child to score goals for encouragement.
- Show your child how to “stickhandle” the ball with small touches that change the ball direction
- Create a big goal and act as goalkeeper so your child can attempt to score on you
This activity develops hand-eye coordination and timing while using a hockey stick (i.e., striking tool). These skills also transfer to striking with a bat or racquet.
Suggested Age2-4 years