- Open space, preferably indoor
- Balloons (round type)
- Piece of string or ribbon 3-5 metres
- Scotch tape or masking tape
- Blow up a balloon of the “round” type.
- Inflate to medium or medium-low pressure, so the balloon “floats” only a bit but not too much.
- Hang the string or ribbon horizontally about one metre above the floor between two chairs, or between bookshelves or countertops. This is your “net”.
- Using your fingertips, hit the balloon back and forth across the net with your child or children.
- If someone allows the balloon to touch the floor on their side, the person on the other side of the net scores a point.
- Play first person to 5 points, and then start again.
- Your hands are not allowed to cross over the top of the net.
- You are allowed to touch the balloon more than once on your side.
- If you have more than one child, or more than one adult, try playing a fun family tournament where family members take turns playing each other
This activity develops hand-eye coordination, gross and fine motor control, and the ability to track moving objects in the air. These skills transfer to sports and activities that involve striking or catching an object in the air (e.g., balls, frisbees, ribbons, sticks, batons).
Suggested Age5-10 years