• Large indoor or outdoor space free of obstacles
• Large round balloon inflated to low pressure (not hard)
- Inflate a round balloon to a low pressure so it is not too hard or likely to pop.
- Find a large indoor or outdoor space free of obstacles.
- Practice kicking the balloon with your toddler.
- If the balloon is kicked high into the air, try to catch it with your hands.
• Tie a long string to the balloon and hang it from a doorframe or a tree. The balloon should hang about 5cm above the ground.
This activity develops leg coordination, balance, and gross motor control in the lower body. These skills transfer to sports and activities that involve dynamic balance and rhythmical movement (e.g., soccer, basketball, volleyball, racquet sports, martial arts, dance).
Suggested Age2-5 years