Editor’s note: This article was originally published on October 15, 2014.
If you’re not a regular walker and need some motivation, here are five reasons (check out five more) to walk to school today and every day:
1. Because walking to school gives kids exercise and helps them be ready to learn.
2. Because walking to school is an excellent way for kids and parents to spend quality time together away from electronics and distractions.
3. Because walking to school can be a time to develop skills like balancing, hopping, and jumping without even knowing it.
4. Because walking to school is a great way to increase your child’s physical activity so that they get closer to the recommended amount of daily physical activity.
5. Because Jennifer Keesmaat says you should and she’s awesome.
This September, start a habit you can keep all year. Make walking to school part of your routine now and you’ll never regret it.