Our First Birthday contest is now closed. Thanks to everyone who entered.
You know how much can happen in a year. One moment you’re wondering what to do with the tiny, delicate creature in your arms. The next thing you know, she’s crawling. And it seems like before you even have time to move the breakables off the lower shelves, she’s walking. And even climbing.
For us it started with a public service announcement called Recess. The 30-second video featured children sharing alarming statistics about their lack of exercise and declining health.
Since then we’ve been trying to live up to our promise to educate, inspire, and help you guide your child to becoming physically literate. In his editorial this month, editor-in-chief Richard Monette talks about how much we’ve grown and how much we’ve learned from you.
We’re ecstatic that Active for Life has been active (see what we did there?) for a year. We’ve shared a lot and learned even more. Thank you for joining us on the journey.
The Active for Life physical activity pledge
Here’s how those of us who work with Active for Life plan on celebrating today. We’re all going to spend an hour with our children doing a physical activity. The pictures you see to the right are us, caught up in the fun. Feel free to join us. Share in the comments the pledge you and your family will undertake today.
- Sunny is going on a hike with her kids and will work on balancing.
- Sara is going to help her two kids learn to ride their bicycles, which is so affirming that it has them jumping for joy.
- Sally is going to work on developing physical literacy with her kids by doing some fun activities, like tightrope walking.
- Richard, Liz, and their two kids are going to use an agility ladder to do the CS4L warm-up.
- Blaine and his family are going on a long hike in the forest near their home, with stops along the way to throw rocks into the river.
- David is taking his family on a bike ride.
- Christian is going to play on the trampoline with his nieces and nephews.
- Jim is going to play soccer for an hour. Or more. Probably more.
- Robert is going to hike the Grouse Grind.
- Thom, who just participated in the North Shore Triathalon, is going to train.
- Michael is going to go for a family bike ride
First birthday contest
Here’s another way to celebrate: We’re throwing a contest!
To enter, all you need to do is tell us your best idea for getting your kids active this summer.
Let us know in the comments below and you’ll be entered into a draw for a $75 outdoor activity prize pack.
Our first birthday contest is open until July 2, 2013. (Read the Rules and Regulations.)