Standing Broad Jump«back
- Open space
- Markers (chalk, ribbon, etc.)
- In an open space, find or create a line on the ground.
- Have your child stand behind the line, feet together, with toes touching the line.
- Show your child how to jump, bending at knees, bent arms reaching downwards and back, and then throwing arms upwards as you spring forward with feet together.
- Mark the landing spot for each jump.
- Challenge your child to beat your jump.
Challenge your child to beat their own jump.
TIP: Show how to land with feet shoulder-width apart, and knees aligned above feet.
- Challenge your child to jump with one foot only
- Try fun scenarios – for example, pretend to be Spiderman leaping between buildings
This activity develops dynamic balance, coordination, and strength required for any and all sports and activities that involve jumping (e.g., basketball, baseball, soccer, volleyball, track and field, gymnastics, diving).
Suggested Age4-10 years