Soccer Outdoor Mini Game
• Outdoor grass space free of tripping and falling hazards.
• Ball appropriate for the youngest players (if available): Size 3 for ages 4-6, size 4 for ages 7-10, size 5 for ages 11 and older.
• Soft objects to use as goalposts: small backpacks, jackets, hats, soft plastic water bottles, etc.
• No need for soccer shoes; regular running shoes are fine.
- Find an open grass space to establish a soccer field. No sidelines or end lines are needed.
- Assuming you are playing with only a few people (maybe 3-5 kids and adults per team), the area should be at least 25-40 steps wide and 30-50 steps long.
- Create simple goals using backpacks, jackets, hats, and other soft objects as goal posts (2-metre goals).
- Make adjustments to the goals, the game field, or the players on each team to make it fair and fun for both teams.
- If adults are playing, they should play as goalkeepers or focus on simply passing to the children on their team, so the children do the shooting and dribbling.
- Adults are encouraged to let children score, without making it obvious.
- No bodychecking, slide tackling, or other rough physical contact permitted.
· If you have an odd number of players, you can play three-against-two, four-against-three, five-against-four, etc.
· Move players between the two teams to balance the talent and ability as best as you can.
· With good balancing, both teams will score goals, and that makes it fun for everyone playing.
This activity develops kicking, along with some ball dribbling.
- Skill: Dribble, Kick
- 30 minutes
- Suggested age 4-12 years