This post was updated on August 16, 2021.
A big part of having healthy, happy kids who want to be active is also having the right kind of fuel for their growing bodies. And as another back-to-school season approaches, so does making school lunches. As much as I find packing lunches for three kids day after day a bit of a pain at times, I also look at it as an opportunity to fill them up with lots of different healthy snacks.
So before your kids head off to school, here are a few great snack ideas you can choose from to make sure your children have a colourful and nutritious lunch. (Plus a treat or two for good measure!) Feel free to mix and match items from this week-long meal plan to make it your own.
- Chickpea & avocado salad sandwich
- Mixed berries
- Nut-free trail mix with dry cereal, raisins or dried cranberries
- Cucumber coins
- Chicken miso soup
- Pita wedges & hummus
- Cucumber sticks and bell pepper slices
- Edamame salad (or just edamame on its own as a snack)
- Pineapple with yogurt dip
- Shredded cheese
- Best-ever turkey sandwich
- Unsweetened applesauce
- Graham crackers “Oreos”
- Sugar snap peas with hummus for dipping