- Open space
- Rope or line in the ground
- Find a line on the ground, or stretch out a rope on the ground.
- Designate one side of the rope or line to be the bank. The other side is the river.
- When the parent says “river,” the child must jump with both feet together to the river side, and vice versa for “bank.”
- Try to trick your child by saying “river” when they are already on the river side, or “bank” when they are on the bank side. They should not jump.
- Let your child have a turn calling “river” and “bank”.
- Switch between “river” and “bank” faster and faster so that the game becomes more challenging
- If you have a few players, make it an elimination game – eliminate players if they jump to the wrong side – continue until there is only one player left
This activity develops dynamic balance, coordination, mental focus, and reaction time required at older ages for a variety of sports and activities.
- Skill: Jump
- 10 minutes
- Suggested age 4-12 years