Editor’s note: This post was updated on July 28, 2021
Has your family been watching the events taking place in Tokyo? The Olympics provide a great opportunity to connect with kids on topics like doing something you love and following your passion, rewards vs. self-satisfaction, goal planning, and role models.
Here are some potential conversation starters:
- How do you think people find something to be passionate about?
- What do you love to do?
- What’s more important to you, being recognized for doing well or the feeling you get when you do your best?
- What do you wish you could do and how do you think you can make that happen?
- Do you look up to the athletes? Why?
- When you grow up do you want to be a role model for kids? What does that mean to you?
- Is there a sport or activity that you have discovered that you’d like to try?
We’d love you to share your experiences with us. Are your children inspired, impressed, or indifferent? What are their favourite events? Do the Games spur them on to try harder or try something new? Did they have any reactions that surprised you? Please share any thoughts with us in the comments section below.