Ball Hockey for Children
- Small hockey sticks (wooden or plastic)
- Plastic ball 8-10 cm diameter (e.g. street hockey ball)
- Create two small goals in your driveway, patio, or hard surface at a local park.
- Play a simple hockey game with two or three children per team.
- Adult can play as a passing player who models good team play.
- Show children how to “stick handle” the ball with small touches that change the ball direction
- Create a big goal and act as goalkeeper for your children to take turns shooting at you
This activity develops hand-eye coordination and timing while using a hockey stick (i.e., striking tool). These skills also transfer to striking with a bat or racquet.
- Skill: Strike
- 30 minutes
- Suggested age 5-8 years