Follow the Leader
- Ideally, more than one child
- Either indoors or outdoors, have your child “lead” you around, over, under and through obstacles.
- If indoors, your child can lead around, over or under furniture (with your supervision and permission).
- If outdoors, your child can lead around, over, under and through playground equipment, trees, and shrubs.
- Encourage leaders to vary movements with walking, running, changing direction, stopping, and starting.
- Ensure you are playing in a safe place. Do not play around cars or mechanical equipment.
- Have children take turns being the leader
- If you join the game as an adult, make sure the children take turns leading most of the time
This activity develops leg coordination, dynamic balance, and speed. These skills transfer to sports and activities that involve dynamic balance and speed (e.g., soccer, basketball, hockey, volleyball, racquet sports, martial arts, dance).
- Skill: Agility
- 15 minutes
- Suggested age 3-8 years