- Open outdoor space
- Jump rope or 4 metre standard nylon rope 6-12 mm diameter
- Two people to turn the rope for the child
- Or something to tie the rope to, and one person to turn the rope
- If there is one adult present, tie one end of the rope to a fence or piece of playground equipment.
- If there are two adults present, each holds one end of the rope.
- Swing the rope over the child’s head in a circular motion.
- Each time the rope touches the ground, your child must jump over it.
- The rope should be rotating steadily and consistently.
- Rotate the rope slowly for beginners.
- Increase the speed of the rope rotation as the child masters the slower speeds
- Jump rope with only one foot, alternating feet with each rope rotation
- Turn 180 degrees with every jump
This activity develops dynamic balance, coordination, and rhythm required for sports and activities such as volleyball, tennis, badminton, and dance.
- Skill: Jump
- 15 minutes
- Suggested age 5-12 years