Monkey Bar Challenge
• Playground with monkey bars
- Encourage your child to hang on the monkey bars and swing.
- Hang with both hands on one bar and simply swing forward and backward.
Hang from the horizontal ladder and try to move along it by alternating hands.
TIP: Depending on the height of the bars and the size of your child, you should “spot” your child by staying close and being ready to catch them.
TIP: Your child should swing their legs to swing their full body.
• If the bar is not too high, encourage your child to swing forward and jump.
• Challenge your child to try swinging with only their right hand. • Challenge your child to try swinging with only their left hand.
This activity develops coordination of legs, arms and torso, plus dynamic balance and body proprioception. These skills transfer to sports and activities that involve dynamic balance and proprioception (e.g., gymnastics, aerial diving, martial arts, dance, soccer, basketball, hockey, volleyball).
- Skill: Agility
- 15 minutes
- Suggested age 4-10 years