In the summer we published 10 great sports movies to watch with your kids and not one of them is a movie about female athletes. It’s not easy to find a quality family sport movie that features a girl as the star, in a role other than “the girlfriend”.
When we think of female athlete role models with an uplifting storyline in cinema, we often think of Hollywood sport movies, either on baseball (A League Of Their Own), soccer (Bend it like Beckham), martial arts (the Kill Bill series), and even boxing (Million Dollar Baby), but we never thought a women’s surfing movie documentary could be inspirational to our non-surfing daughters.
Then Netflix Canada surprised us all with something radically different this summer: Lakey Peterson: Zero to 100. It is the story of girl who decided to focus on one sport at the age of 12 and went on to win the largest surfing competition in the world at 19. She is now ranked in the top 10 on the surfing world pro tour.
This inspiring one-hour movie documents Lakey’s multi-sport roots as a kid and the ups and downs of her rookie year on the world pro tour while inspiring us to push boundaries, change lives, and make dreams come true.
Lakey Peterson: Zero to 100
Director: Aaron Lieber
Cast: Lakey Peterson, Bethany Hamilton, Stephanie Gilmore
Studio: LIEBER VISION
Format: DVD, Digital download via Netflix or iTunes
Run time: 60 min
MPAA rating: N/A
You do not need to be a surf addict to appreciate this movie. It illustrates beautifully all the fundamental concepts of physical literacy, for females or males:
- Lakey played a plethora of ball sports as a kid (multi sport).
- She enjoyed water and skateboard acrobatics (multi environment).
- She played on mixed teams (no gender barriers).
- She is quoted to having said as a kid: “ It’s not that the boys are slow, I’m just fast” (confidence from physical movement).
- She chose to focus on one sport at the age of 11 or 12 (late specialization).
- And had a supportive family who introduced her to different opportunities of physical activities.
- The beautiful scenery accompanied by a killer soundtrack is a bonus.
Be forewarned, though. If your daughter watches Lakey Peterson: Zero to 100, make sure you have a pool or water park day planned soon after because she will be itching to get in the water while dreaming of achieving sporting greatness, endless waves, and exotic travels all over the world.
Surf Lakey’s website.