Across Canada and in many parts of the world, public health authorities have called on all of us to limit unnecessary errands, stay home from school, and work from home (if possible) in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
Here’s a video from the government of Canada that explains social distancing:
You may be wondering: Is it safe for my children to play outside? Can I still go for a walk or a bike ride in my neighbourhood? Is it okay to invite a neighbour over for a playdate?
The severity of the pandemic varies by region, and recommendations in your local area may differ. Please read and respect the recommendations posted online by your province’s or territory’s health authority.
As of June 4, 2020, federal guidelines published by the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) say:
- stay at home unless you have to go to work
- talk to your employer about working at home if possible
- avoid all non-essential trips in your community
- do not gather in groups
- limit contact with people at higher risk, such as older adults and those in poor health
- go outside to exercise but stay close to home
- if you leave your home, always keep a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others
- household contacts (people you live with) do not need to distance from each other unless they are sick or have travelled in the last 14 days
We must all continue to do our part to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
- Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds with hot water and soap before you leave your house and whenever you return from outside.
- If you have a fever, cough, or other symptoms, or if you have traveled within the past 14 days, respect quarantine orders and do not leave your home.
- When you are outside or in public areas, maintain a distance of at least two metres (six feet) between you and other people who do not live with you.
Although we must keep apart for now, we are all in this together. Let’s work as a team to get through this.
This information was current as of June 4, 2020. It will be updated as required.