When four brave women fought to break the publication ban in their sexual abuse case last week, they initiated an urgent public conversation on the topic of athlete safety.
New safety measures for all sports in Canada have been proposed. They include:
- Online training for athletes so they understand their rights and, most importantly, so they recognize harassment and abuse and know how they can report it.
- Online training for coaches, professional service providers, and sport management on the Universal Duty of Care Code, which sets out their responsibilities and obligations, and ensures they understand what is and is not appropriate.
- Development, adoption, and adherence – by all sport organizations – of policies and procedures to prevent all forms of abuse.
- An independent process for athletes and others to raise concerns when issues arise and to manage incidents.
- The rule of two: Ensuring, within reason, that young athletes are not left on their own for long periods of time with a coach or member of the staff or other personnel.
Now it’s our turn, as parents, to make a difference for every child
Click here to send an email to the Honourable Kirsty Duncan, Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, to ask her to put a structure in place that will ensure that sport is safe for kids and free of abuse. We’re also asking that no government funding be given to organizations that do not implement an accredited, athlete-security framework.
Our goal is to get as many emails to Minister Duncan as possible. Please share with everyone you know.
Together we can help make sports safe for all children and athletes.
Share these on your social media channels
As parents, it’s our responsibility to urge Canada’s Minister of Sport @KirstyDuncanMP to take immediate action on building a safety framework. Pledge your support: http://bit.ly/2sOPkts #AbuseFreeSport
It’s time to make a difference for every child in sport. Let @KirstyDuncanMP know that Canadians want a safety framework to support #AbuseFreeSport! Join me in speaking out: http://bit.ly/2sOPkts
Safety should be guaranteed for every child in sport, no exceptions. Join @activeforlife and concerned parents across Canada in urging @KirstyDuncanMP to put a structure in place to ensure #AbuseFreeSport: http://bit.ly/2sOPkts