Unsure how to help your kids develop and stick to healthy habits? It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 … well, actually, make that 5, 2, 1, 0.
- 5 servings or more of fruits and vegetables a day.
- 2 hours or less of screentime a day. (Kids under two shouldn’t have any.)
- 1 hour or more of physical activity each day.
- 0 servings of sugary drinks every day. (Try water or low-fat milk.)
You might already be familiar with this popular formula. It was originally created as an initiative of the state of Maine’s Childhood Obesity Prevention Program and focuses on spreading the doctor-approved message of 5-2-1-0 in early childhood education settings, schools, sports clubs and workplaces so that both parents and their kids get a consistent message of the steps to take to eat healthy and stay active.
5-2-1-0 Let’s Go! makes it easy for adults and kids alike to understand the recommendations and take responsibility for their healthy choices. It’s a practical, simple, concept that is easy for even young children to understand and follow.
Here are some of highlights:
- Fun resources for kids like the Storywalk, which gets kids excited about choosing a healthy lifestyle by literally bringing the pages of a book to life as your kids walk or hike along a path moving like animals on storybook pages.
- Practical resources for the workplace including guidelines for hosting a healthy meeting, an alternatives for food rewards tip sheet, ways to increase movement at work (including five exercises to do anywhere), and lots more. These resources are designed for office environments, but are easily repurposed by parents for use at home.
So there’s really something to help and inspire everyone in the family. Will you incorporate 5-2-1-0 into your family’s daily routine? Let us know how it works for you!