Not all of us are getting away for the winter holiday.
If you’re staying home, fight cabin fever and boredom while having fun and developing movement skills with the entire family.
Here are five ideas to get you started.
- Rock climbing or bouldering. Instead of climbing the walls at home get out and try your local climbing gym. It’s a terrific way to fight the cabin fever that sometimes comes along with the holidays and great for skill development.
- Bowling. Kids love the shoes and the pop soundtrack most bowling alleys play these days and parents will love reliving their youth and creating family memories.
- Snowshoeing. Rent some snowshoes and poles and hit the local park or golf course. This one requires some cooperation from Mother Nature. If there’s no snow in your area, an alternative is to get the bikes out of storage and go for a spin around the neighbourhood. Take some pointers on how to winterize your bike from our friends at ParticipACTION.
- Five senses walk. Bundle up and enjoy all the sights and sounds that winter offers. Another bonus, collect pinecones and other bits of nature and you’ll have an easy and inexpensive way to decorate the holiday table.
- Swimming. Feel like pretending you’re in Hawaii or some other warm locale? Check your local rec centre for family swim times. When you get back home sip some specialty drinks and dance to some tropical beach music. You’ll feel like you had a vacation without any of the stress of travelling!
Do you have great ideas for staying active as a family over the winter break? Please let us know in the comments section below.