Jump Rope Simplified
- Jump rope or thick string with a beanbag or stuffed animal tied to one end.
- Outdoor space or large indoor space free of obstacles.
- Hold the rope at one end, or the string at the opposite end from the beanbag.
- Crouch down and turn the rope around you like a helicopter blade (you must change hands constantly).
- Keep the rope low to the ground.
- Encourage your child to jump over the rope each time it comes around.
- If this is too difficult for your child, try laying the rope on the ground and wiggling it side to side like a snake. Ask your child to “jump over the snake!”
This activity develops rhythm, timing, and spatial perception.
- Skill: Jump
- 10 minutes
- Suggested age 3-6 years