Whether it’s driving to practices and games, preparing team snacks, organizing events, or providing a listening and supportive ear, parents have a critical role to play in supporting their children in sport and activity, and Active for Life is proud to support sports parents.
Below, you’ll find a variety of articles and resources to help parents, coaches, and sport organizations to understand and promote positive sport parenting in any environment. We encourage sport groups, schools, and community associations to share this content throughout the entire year.
Ways to support sports parents
Supporting kids in sport
- Link to our helpful Toolkit using this URL https://activeforlife.com/parents-in-sport/.
- Celebrate parents and their contributions in your e-newsletters and on your website.
- Post on social media using the hashtag #Sportsparents.
- Share the articles below.
- Have your athletes record a short video thanking their parents.
- Have your coaches and administrative staff record a video celebrating how much they appreciate parent contributions.
More related reads:
- Active for Life Podcast: How to support your child athlete
- Creating a positive sport experience from the sidelines
- A reluctant hockey mom shares how we can all create how we can all become healthy sport parents
- 10 tips for non-sporty parents
- Safe sport tips for parents
- How to be a great sports parent during and after COVID-19
Use this URL when creating links to our parents in sport pages:
- Parents supporting kids in sport resources: https://activeforlife.com/parents-in-sport/
Newsletter or website copy
Feel free to use or revise this text.
For coaches and clubs, it’s important to inform and involve parents to help build a positive environment where kids, coaches, and parents can thrive.
Feel free to use these on your own Twitter account.
Parents play a big role in making #youthsports happen for kids. Join us in celebrating #Sportsparents: https://bit.ly/2wmbhRB
5 tips for parents who want to create a better sport experience for their child: http://bit.ly/2eXUCMg #Sportsparents
Suggested Facebook posts
Use these posts on your Facebook page.
Active for Life celebrates all the parents who make community sport and physical activity happen for kids. Whether it’s driving kids to practices and games, organizing events, or providing their child with a listening and supportive ear, parents are important in making sport and activity happen. https://bit.ly/2wmbhRB
Let’s celebrate parents who support their children in sport and activity! Check out these tips for parents who want to create a better sport experience for their child. http://bit.ly/2eXUCMg
Please join us in celebrating all the parents who make sport and activity possible for kids. Read tips on being a great sport parent, and reflect on ways you can support your child’s coach or instructor: https://bit.ly/2Nej0YV
Share these images on your social channels throughout the year to promote positive parenting in sport. Consider including a link to an AfL article above with the image.