Kudos to my mom for this amazingly easy cookie recipe. Will this rustic take on traditional shortbread become your family’s favourite as well?
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, slightly softened
- ¾ cup (175 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 325 ˚F (180 ˚C).
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Blend in vanilla.
- Gradually add in both flour and oats, until completely combined. (Fingers work best for this step.)
- Chill dough for at least 20 minutes, till firm enough to roll dough out.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about ¼ inch thick. Cut out with your favourite cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on an ungreased baking sheet. Gently prick cookies with a fork to prevent air bubbles.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Watch cookies closely, they burn easily.
- Makes 24-48 cookies, depending on size. [/two_third]