- Non-stick cooking spray
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced almonds
- ¼ cup (60 mL) whole-wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dry mustard powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 pound (453 grams) chicken tenders
- Preheat oven to 450˚F (230˚C). Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a food processor, mix almonds, flour, paprika, garlic powder, dry mustard, salt and pepper. Pulse until almonds are finely chopped, about one minute.
- With the motor running, slowly pour in the olive oil until just combined and crumbly. Transfer coating to a shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, whisk egg whites. Evenly coat chicken tenders in the egg. Transfer to almond mixture and coat evenly.
- Place chicken tenders on the reserved baking sheet.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the coating is crispy and chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Serve chicken tenders with your favourite dip.
- Makes 4 servings.
Sliced almonds are easier to blend, but don’t worry, whole almonds work just as well. Give them a quick chop before hitting the food processor.
Get creative. Try using pecans or cashews instead of almonds. Both contain anti-oxidants and are sources of vitamins and minerals, like vitamin A and B-5.
Serve with yam wedges and curry dip