This post was originally published on April 30, 2018. It was updated on May 1, 2019.
May is Mental Health Awareness Month in the United States. In Canada, May 6-12, 2019 is Mental Health Week.
The mental health of everyone benefits from regularly spending time outside, but with children the research shows dramatic results, including:
- Their overall stress levels decline.
- Time outside provides a break from the mental fatigue of school.
- They demonstrate greater resilience and self-regulation.
- They develop skills for dealing with stress later in life.
- ADHD effects are mitigated with as little as 20 minutes in nature.
Active for Life developed this postcard in collaboration with the Alberta Council for Environmental Education and ACT to support an event took place on May 11, 2018. This “pedestrian parade” celebrates positive mental health for all.