- A hopscotch grid or chalk to draw one
- A bean bag, small stick or rock to use as a marker
- Line up in front of the hopscotch grid.
- First in line tosses the marker onto square 1.
- Hop over square 1 and hop through all the other squares on one foot.
- At the end of the grid, turn around and hop all the way back on one foot.
- Pause to pick up the marker from the square.
- Finish hopping back to the start.
- Throw the marker into square 2 and go again.
Repeat until you have done the hopscotch grid with the marker in every square.
NOTE: When you see two free squares side by side, you land one foot in each square at the same time before continuing on one foot.
RULE: If a player steps into the square with the marker, touches any lines, or touches the ground with any body part other than the one foot, that player starts again at square 1.
- Try different hopping actions to go through the course (alternate foot, feet together, hopping backwards, etc.)
- Make up your own hopscotch grid if chalk is available
This activity develops dynamic balance, coordination, and rhythm required for activities at older ages such as running, skipping, hopping, and dancing.
Suggested Age4-12 years